Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Viability - I officially have a viable half-baked baby!

Yes - I've crossed the threshold. I've crossed that invisible line in the sand. In fact I should say "we" crossed that invisible line in the sand. Not just the baby and I , but the baby, my dear husband and I have crossed this line. It's been so long, since the first IVF cycle....since the first time I took clomid 4 years ago... since I realized my ovaries had a mind of their own and weren't with the program. We've crossed that line in the sand that basically gives our baby a chance. 

It's so weird.... the crossing was uneventful. Maybe that's why I couldn't sleep tonight.... I was waiting to watch it become real. It's like crossing this line has opened a whole new set of doors for me. I can start crib shopping. I can start nursery shopping. I can start the nesting process! I can give this baby a name. I can risk getting attached to this little one.

It's been a serious emotional challenge balancing the desire to revel in hope for what's coming while keeping a keen eye on the realities of being a high-risk pregnancy with such a colorful medical history. If you tell people that you're keenly aware of what could go wrong - they say you're negative. If you let yourself daydream in what's coming, you feel like you're somehow letting go of reality. Where's the balance?

If I get my way - I'll bake this baby until 40 weeks. I'm going to be on bedrest for at least 12 more weeks. That's when the cerclage comes out. However, I will be only 36 weeks and I'm going to try to continue bedrest until the end. I want to give this little one every chance I can to be as healthy as possible. I'm just so grateful to have come this far - and I can't wait to see how far we can take it.

2 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo! That's great news! So happy for the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much :) I really appreciate the support and kind words :)

    ReplyDelete