Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Heading back to the Perinatologist to get my cervix measured again

For anyone who has dealt with incompetent cervix, it's so nerve wracking! It's been a week since I found out that my nicely stitched shut cervix has decided that it wants to shorten and open on its own anyway! I dropped from 3.3 cm down to 1.97 cm in just 2 weeks. Of course I was frustrated because just 2 weeks before my cervix had actually grown .4 cm. I was sticking to the partial rest schedule (not doctor ordered but personally ordered as a precaution) and I expected everything to be fine. What was more frustrating, was just as I was celebrating getting past the 20 week mark of my 1st miscarriage, my cervix decided it wanted to do a repeat performance.

Anyway - it's incredibly early - 5amish, I'm awake LOL. I go back today to get my cervix measured. For anyone who's new to the concept - this has been a pretty painless experience for me. The tech does a transvaginal ultrasound and takes some measurements. Then the tech does a transabdominal ultrasound and measures the baby. Then we just sit and wait for the doctor to review them, come into the room and tell us the news.

I also have a potential recurring UTI. The reason I say potentially recurring UTI is that my obgyn has told me at my last 3 monthly appointments that my urine culture came back positive for a UTI. So they gave me an antibiotic macrobid. I have had no symptoms all along. I took the antibiotics, saw my peri for my cervical measurements, and then went back to the OB in a month. Then again - your urine culture says UTI and it's responsive to macrobid. Same deal, I took the macrobid, and came back in a month. Guess what.... a month later.... you have  UTI, it shows itself as sensitive to macrobid, and they gave me the same meds. I asked the nurse who called me - is this normal? She said - yeah - the labwork says macrobid works. Now I'm thinking in my head, I don't care what the lab work says, is it normal to have the same UTI responsive to the same medication, reappearing at every tests in a 12 week period? Anyway - since (at that time) I saw my perinatologist every 2 weeks, I decided I'd ask them.

My peri said it's possible for a bacteria to show sensitive to a medication and still be resistant. They will be running fresh urine cultures on me today so I can get a definite answer. I wouldn't care so much except amongst my many factors for pre term labor (PCOS, mild insulin resistance, incompetent cervix, previous pre-term loss) I don't need to add recurrent UTIs to that list!!

Anyway - that's enough of a rant! I hope everything goes ok today with the doc!

I'll post an update when I get home

No comments:

Post a Comment