Monday, March 14, 2011

Getting a HSG...

This is one of those trips down memory lane. Sometimes when we get into our fertility missions, we're naive. In fact, no let's be honest - we are completely clueless. No matter how many blogs and forums we've cruised and websites we've plowed through, we're still completely ill-prepared for the onslaught of procedures and things we have to go through. I thought I'd write a small bit about my HSG. For those who don't know - a HSG is a hysterosalpingogram. It's an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It often is done for women who are having a hard time becoming pregnant. The procedure is done in an operating theater - and it's kind of like a video X-ray of your ovaries.

In plain terms, the doctor basically fills your uterus with this contrast dye. The fluid fills your uterus and then comes out your fallopian tubes. If your fallopian tubes show the fluid spilling out normally - good news - your stuff isn't blocked! If the fluid spills out on only one side, then one of your tubes are blocked. Here's the kicker... if one of your fallopian tubes are blocked - the HSG can sometimes flush your system :)

I did my HSG about a year ago.  I thought it would be bad - but it's not really painful. I was awake for the procedure. They basically gave me a stress ball to squeeze on. I think I got a strong ibuprofen afterwards, but it's no real biggie. Mine came back saying that my uterus was shaped fine and one of my tubes were fine. The other one is a little bit weird shaped and higher up. It wasn't blocked but it was spilling in a strange way. The doctor thought it might cause issues if an egg moved through it - but it was non conclusive. So Phew** so far.... I'm still just a woman with broken ovaries. In fact not quite broken ovaries - I've got eggs - TONS of them. They simply just won't drop those eggs and grow them. That's why I literally got a TON of mature follicles when I did my IVF.

No comments:

Post a Comment