Sunday, March 6, 2011

Introduction to my little infertility battle

It's going to take me quite a while to actually tell my whole story, so I'll just start with where I am in my battle right now. As the days pass (and they will pass slowly as I'm on bedrest), I'll give a full breakdown of my story.

Where I am right now: 
I'm in my low 30's right now, 21 weeks pregnant, lying on a couch using a funky little laptop tray. This is pretty much going to be my life for the next 15 weeks. I'm on doctor ordered modified bed rest because my cervix has decided it's not interested in staying closed for 9 months. I have PCOS. Many of you will know what this is  - but if you don't - it's PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. In plain english, my ovaries have way too many cysts. Well the cysts are more like baby eggs that never grow into full mature eggs. Thus.... my infertility. To add insult to injury, not only do I have trouble getting pregnant, I also have an incompetent cervix. I've always hated that term! This means my cervix has a nasty tendency of trying to open up in the almost impossible event that I get pregnant. Yet here I am, pregnant against all odds (for the second time), lying on a couch, contemplating how I'm going to survive another 15 weeks lazying around the house without going crazy.

I guess I should also add another disclaimer, the first time I got pregnant - I managed to do it on my own. That ended up horribly. Pretty much at 20 weeks, I walked into a doctor's office for a routine checkup and was dilated. 3 days later I lost my baby. This was after oh.... 6 years of rampant unprotected sex with my husband. That pretty much sums up just how infertile I really am! This time around, 4 years later, I went the super star route and did IVF. It actually worked and here I am pregnant - trying to stay pregnant and not lose all the out-of-pocket money we spent getting me pregnant!

Where I'm going
Well obviously, I'm working on having baby #1. But I'm not planning on stopping here. I'd like to have a real family - at least 2 kids. Not only that, but I totally plan to beat this PCOS thing. I've been lucky and I don't have many of the painful side effects of PCOS - like hairiness, obesity, skin tags (although I do have one boob darker that the other!), depression, anxiety, etc. All I have is a little belly fat that won't go away, a constant extra 15 pounds of weight that's stubborn to come off, and ovaries that are so polycystic - they look like bunches of grapes on an ultrasound! Goal #1 for me is to become a PCOS mother, then a PCOS mother of 2, then to be a PCOS mother with regular periods, and if all goes well a PCOS mother who doesn't develop Type II diabetes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment