Monday, April 4, 2011

Fighting the urge to nest - my pile of crocheted things

So I write this post with a lot of fear. I'm afraid to get all cocky and start doing the proud-mom-to-be posts. That being said every day I get more confident that this pregnancy is just going to make it. This baby girl gets stronger by the day. I can tell by the kicks she gives me. They used to be loving taps, now they are less gentle and a lot more aggressive. It's reassuring to know that she's still in there I still find it hard to shake all my pre-term labor fears.

Well - I'm 25 weeks and 3 days pregnant today and 32 days into my bed rest. I can't believe I waited until 24 weeks to buy the first baby things . I sort of feel like it's taboo, like I might just jinx my pregnancy if I start behaving like I know for sure that this baby is coming. That being said, I did let myself start crocheting so that I could pass the time. As a result - I've made way too many baby things..

Here's the first thing I made - a baby blanket that's entirely too long but hey - if I have two - I can put them both on it :) I read somewhere that black and red are the first colors that a baby can see. I chose white so that there will be a good contrast between the different parts.
Then I made this yellow and brown one. I made this one sort of rounded, so that it will be good for cradling a baby. It sort of naturally falls around the little one. I don't know if I'd let my little one sleep alone in this blanket, but it would be great for holding her.


My first bassinet blanket. I'm actually going to try and go the traditional route and get a bassinet. You don't see those pram style of strollers any more. I made this blue and brown blanket to use in a bassinet.

So this is my little hat of shame. The reason I call it a hat of shame is that when I started this was a hat. I realized about halfway two, it was way too flat and big to be a hat. After debating as to repurpose it or scrap it, I decided to turn it into a purse. I don't intend to ever use it - so maybe I'll hang it on a wall and stick some toys into it.
Here's a baby hat. I actually like this one - except it's still too big for a baby!! Needless to say my hat making skills are seriously questionable!
I have managed to get my bib skills in order! I ended up buying some yarn that was way too rough to be used for a blanket. So I took a stab at making baby bibs. 

I've made a ton of other things as well, but this is a good enough spread to post. So far I've made about 8 baby blankets, 3 sets of booties, 3 bibs, 1 hat and 1 purse. I don't think my baby will use most of what I've made. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've taken my first step towards being that delusional mother who thinks their kid will want to wear a homemade piece of clothing because it was made with love! As soon as she's able to talk and is aware of fashion sense, I'm pretty sure this stuff will make it to the bottom of the closet. That being said, I keep looking for healthy ways to kill my time - and for now the crocheting seems to work. 


2 comments:

  1. Good luck i hope everything works out for you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much :) I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!! I can't wait to meet our baby girl.

    ReplyDelete