Sunday, April 10, 2011

Co-ed Baby Shower - I need some help guys!

I just realized I'm running out of time and I need to plan for our shower. I've begun planning for our co-ed baby shower and I have some questions about how a co-ed shower would go. 

For starters, let me say what we're planning. My husband and I throw these parties at our houses called a "Gathering of Friends". We've been doing this for roughly the last 5 years. We invite all of our friends from the different aspects and social circles. We've had as many as 100 people show up to one of these gigs before. We grill an enormous amount of meat, cook way too many entrees, make tons of desserts, and have tons of libations. It's pretty much an indulgent affair. It basically starts around 4 - 5 o'clock and has run as late as 4 am. It's sort of an all you can eat all you can drink thing! Normally that's the time by which I kick the last stragglers out. We do this at least twice a year, and it's always been a hit, because we get a chance to see everyone we care about at once. We also design the guest list so that everyone knows at least 3 - 4 people there. So no one feels left out.

I'm thinking that for our baby shower, I want to do a special version of our "Gathering of Friends". Because this event is for guys and girls, and the number of people coming, I'm thinking that the normal rules don't apply.

Question #1 
I am having a registry and expecting gifts, but do I have to go through the entire gift opening process with everyone watching? Is this feasible if we have 50 people show up?

Question #2
I'm assuming that traditional shower games are out - partly because of the number of invitees, and also because I don't know what games would work with guys and girls. Has anyone had games that have worked for lots of people or guys or girls?

Question #3 
What are good thank you gifts to give people for coming? So far I've found custom candy jars, personalized cookies, personalized hershey's kisses, and personalized mints. Do you know of any gifts that work well for guys and girls alike?

Question #4 
Now I'm still on bedrest, at the moment... it's just modified bedrest so I plan to sit through most of this event. Has anyone done a baby shower while on bedrest?

Question #5
Should I plan an "agenda" for this or should we just let it run like a party as it has in the past? I'm thinking I'd like to give a short toast / speech thanking everyone for coming and telling them how much this pregnancy means to me and how special it is that they have come here to celebrate it with us. No more than 1 - 2 minutes tops... Is that a good idea? and is that sufficient?

1 comment:

  1. A good game we played at my SIL's shower was we took little baby charms (some where pacifiers, some were plastic diaper pins, baby bottles etc) and put them on a long piece of ribbon to make a necklace. Each guest got one on the way in. The rules were if another guest caught you saying certain words (in our case it was the mommy's name, "baby" or "pregnant") you got to take that person's necklace away. The person at the end with the most necklaces won a little prize. This was a big hit.

    ReplyDelete