Sunday, May 29, 2011

Who gave my baby an ice pick?

So once you get to 8 months pregnant - you get cocky. You start thinking you have a pretty good handle on the pregnancy symptoms and discomforts. I survived the first trimester morning sickness blues. I've dry heaved, been nauseas, suffered through cravings, been bloated, peed every 10 minutes, etc. I just discovered a new blessing. As my little one gets bigger (I'm 33 weeks), when she shifts or punches - I get a stabbing sensation in my cervix at the top of my "cooch". It literally feels like she has an ice pick and is trying to poke her way free. It's so bad sometimes it stops me dead in my tracks or makes me gasp. My poor husband has to watch me randomly wince in pain.

Of course both my perinatologist and my obgyn swear that it's normal. They say it can be more intense with a cerclage. I totally hear them but my instinct just isn't buying it. It doesn't seem normal to have such a strong sharp pain and for there to be nothing wrong! That being said... I'm only 2.5 weeks away from having my cerclage removed. Then the labor watch begins! How crazy is that!!!

A friend asked me yesterday why I sound like I have no fear about the labor. I don't know why - but I explained that maybe it's because I've been through hell already. I've already delivered a 20 week old baby that didn't make it. I know what labor is all about. I've gone through IVF cycles, a cerclage surgery, weekly injections in my back side, watching 2 nurses fight to put an IV In my arm (4 failed attempts ), cramps from ovarian over stimulation, and crippling sciatic pain from 17p shots. Could labor really be any worse than that?? I'm just ready to meet this little one!

2 comments:

  1. I have had no where near the number of procedures you've had. But I no longer fear labor. I used to, but now that I'm infertile the fear is no longer there. I'd gladly go through labor for someone else if it meant I could bring the baby home as my own. But it doesn't work that way and I will continue to hear how scary labor sounds to my friend whose 30+weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are so right. Once you struggle so hard to get pregnant - you have a "I can conquer the world" attitude!

    ReplyDelete