Wednesday, May 4, 2011

FMLA Drama and the beginning of my gestational diabetes journey

My FMLA mission
So I need to apply for FMLA for my maternity leave. I asked my perinatologist office if they could fill my forms out for me. I called them 2 days ago. They said that they prefer for my obgyn to do it. I then called my obgyn. They said they could do it - but I needed to bring my papers in with my next appointment - over a week from now. They also said that it would cost me $25 bucks and it would take 10 business days. If I wanted it sooner, I could pay an extra 10 bucks. ugh. Anyway, My perinatologist called me back yesterday and said - just bring your paperwork with you tomorrow. So I brought it - and get this - they filled all of it out right there and faxed it to my company HR person this afternoon. No charge!!!!

My gestational diabetes journey
So 2 weeks ago I took my 3hr test. I failed it. I thought my values were bad, but my peri didn't think so. Today I had a fresh cervix measurement. My cervix went back up to 2.1 cm wooot! The baby looks fine and my amniotic fluid levels look good. I asked my peri about my GTT scores because honestly - I think my OB's office is too lax with my care. Or maybe they think because I have a peri - they don't have to do much. Anyway - I digress. So I asked my peri about my scores. He felt they were ok - definitely gestational diabetes - but he didn't think they were that bad. They were 94 fasting, 1hr 169, 2hr 181, 3 hr 146 . 95 is the cutoff for a high fasting level - so I barely skated through on that. My 2 hour was the one that he said was really off. I have been feeling a little anxiety about the gestational diabetes thing. I'm not worried about insulin or having a big baby (because she won't make to 40 weeks anyway), but for some reason I'm really freaked out about sticking my fingers. I mean I survived the injection regiment of 2 cycles with IVF, but I just don't want to stick my fingers. The peri told me that I wouldn't have to take insulin. I could take a drug Glyburide. He said it doesn't cross the placenta. Also, I'll monitor my blood sugars and bring in my results weekly. Then if they feel like the diet isn't controlling it enough, then I'll be given the medication. He said only 15% of women with GD end up having to take a medication. So on Friday I'll go for my education, and they are going to give me my meter and strips then. Now to add insult to injury, while I was sitting with the nurses, my peri walks past the office we were in with a fistful of chocolate chip cookies. And he says, "Kat I just want to show you all the stuff you can't eat - no handfuls of cookies for you - haha!" Yes my peri has a sense of humor like that.

So here's my confession. I haven't really been eating bad at all. In fact, I don't particularly like food now that I'm pregnant. I eat because I have to but I never feel like eating. That being said, I decided to have a last fuck-the-world meal. I know that makes no sense. I've done so much to manage my diet to get pregnant and have been eating pretty well during this pregnancy, but on Friday I go back to my diabetic diet. So we went to Five Guys and I got a hot dog and a bacon cheeseburger. YUMM! It's sort of my goodbye to normal eating - that last donut before a diet. It tasted ok, but of course now I'm totally bloated and can't eat anything else. I don't think I'll be able to eat dinner in my current state. Ugh.... but tomorrow I start with all the healthy eating..

All in all I've made my peace with the gestational diabetes. Even though our baby may be born a bit big, she will be done growing most of her organs at 36 weeks, and she won't make it to 40, so she's at low risk of being a huge baby. I hope all is well with her in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment