Monday, June 13, 2011

Lightning Crotch - Why didn't someone warn me about this???

Honestly I feel bamboozled. Everyone knows pregnant women suffer from any number of discomforts. I was prepared for cramps, hot flashes, sore joints, nausea, headaches, constipation etc. But no one warned me that once I reached the third trimester, I'd get a sensation that feels like my baby has been armed with an ice pick and is trying to claw her way out. I had to google this - because although my nurses, OBs, midwives and perinatologist swear it's normal it is the most unholy sensation.

If your'e wondering what it feels like - it's like having a lightning jolt at the top of your vagina or on your cervix. It lasts maybe 2 - 4 seconds at a time. My poor DH has to watch me walk and then start to stagger without warning. Lately I've been having these "lightning crotch" spells in the evenings and they can last an hour or longer. They are so strong I can barely walk or worse they bring me to my knees. I've been terrified that it's my cerclage failing or worse, my cervix trying to dilate through the cerclage. I've got less than 48 hours until the stitch comes out, so I guess there's nothing to do but wait. The last time I've gone in for appointments after having these pains, my cervix has measured fine.

I confess, I've consulted Dr. Google and according to him, there are pretty much 3 reasons this could be happening. #1 - It's the feeling of my cervix trying to dilate.
#2 - It's the baby's head pushing on a nerve
#3 - It's a side effect of a cerclage

Ugh - so of course this is completely inconclusive. I can only hope that it goes away once I have my cerclage removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment