Friday, February 28, 2014

The Shirodkar Cerclage in 2 days

So here we go again... it's time to stitch this baby up! Let me take a step back before I get to this. So we saw the OB today and got a final OK for the cerclage. Our baby boy (yeah he thinks we're having one too ), is holding on nice and strong. So here's something interesting - he said my cervix is 6 cm!! I have to admit that's ridiculously long. I don't think mine reached over 4 cm last time. But I guess this is a good thing. Of course I've been Dr. Googling to see if it's an indication of perhaps reduced cervical incompetence but I can't find anything.  I even wondered if having only one ovary has reduced my PCOS and therefore my body's ability to suppress my progesterone? Anyway - I'm just glad he has plenty of cervix to work with.
So I'm scheduled to do my cerclage on Monday.  One thing that stands out is how much cheaper medical care is here. This whole procedure is coming to $1400 on the high end. My ultrasounds used to cost $1200 in the states...  and my cerclage came to $9000 in the states. Oh well! So the doctor is doing a Shirodkar stitch. I had a McDonald stitch last time. I had to ask the nurse 3 times to confirm that this wasn't a permanent. Doctors out here LOVE c-sections - so I wanted to make sure he wasn't setting me up for one. Anyway - from what I've Dr. Googled, the two are pretty equivalent and both can be taken out in a doctor's office - however, the Shirodkar is placed higher up and is harder to remove. Sometimes you have to get a spinal to remove it  ... and sometimes it's done in an operating theater. The idea of doing a second surgery to remove this stitch does not appeal to me. However, that's roughly 15 weeks from now - so we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it. Oh how I envy women who can have normal pregnancies. Instead ours is filled with endless online research about medical procedures, risk factors, and constantly watching for signs of negative changes. Anyway that's all I have for tonight. I'm still battling pregnancy insomnia - can't wait for this to pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment