Friday, July 1, 2011

My first false labor and failed self induction methods

So I went to the oB and was examined by a midwife yesterday. I was somewhat excited when she reported that I was 2.5 cm dilated ( yes less than my last measurement) but I was fully thinned out (almost 100% effaced). That sounded like progress to me.

Now the manual exam is a painful experience if you haven't had one. It's bearable, but it basically involves someone sticking their two fingers inside of your nether regions and spreading them as far as they can go to see how open your cervix is. I even think that much poking and prodding can drive you into labor. I told the midwife that I was ready for this baby to come out and we chatted some. She agreed with my game plan - The famous labor-inducing legendary Eggplant Parmiagana from Scalinis , very spicy indian food, some walking around and sex with DH. She asked me not to take castor oil because "it would give me diarrhea and I'd still be pregnant!"

Armed with her guidance, we decided to do some window shopping to walk around to help labor along. I started contracting and added to my pelvic pains and lightning crotch, I sincerely felt like there was finally something going on. We stopped at Scalini's and got the eggplant parmiagan. Then we went to Swapna, the local indian place and ordered spicy vindaloo, spicy goat curry, and  lamb Biryani. That's enough spicy Indian food to set your backside on fire! By the time I got home - I was having regular contractions. They were pretty painful but they were strong enough to time them. I laid on the couch and started timing them. They were fairly rhythmic - about 10 - 15 minutes apart. I was so sure that this was the beginning of something.

There I was contracting and uncomfortable. I was in too much pain to have sex with DH. The contractions ran until 3 in the morning and then they went away! Ugh! I got up to go to the bathroom, and the contractions started again. 10 minutes later they were gone! By the time I woke up around  6 am - they were all gone.

Not to admit defeat, the next morning I decided to get on the treadmill. Maybe some walking would get things going. I hopped on the treadmill, put it on a fast walking pace and put the incline on 7 ( out of 10). I did an entire mile. And guess what.... not a single contraction! Seriously??? So here I am after suffering through a night of painful contractions - still as pregnant as ever. I'm exhausted and I don't feel any closer to delivering this baby.

Just some final thoughts.... I am having trouble digesting the thought that for so long, I was on pins and needles in fear of losing this pregnancy and now I'm sitting here ready to evict my baby. It's just so surreal. I am excited about getting so close to being a mother, but I am terrified of something going wrong. It seems so strange to be on the other side of fertility....

1 comment:

  1. You're not trying to evict your baby, you're just wanting to reach the end of this particular journey and hold your baby.

    I was going to say you just want to enjoy the fruits of your labor, but I thought that might be too punny. :)

    ReplyDelete