Monday, January 27, 2014

Worst OB Ever? But I saw my bean!!

Well there's good news here and some bad news. Well the bad news isn't really bad news! I went to the OB yesterday and I saw our bean for the first time. OMG - I used the term bean.... this is really happening! It's hard for me to get emotional yet - maybe after 12 weeks? Turns out I'm 8 weeks pregnant! Anyway - I basically picked an OB out of a directory for a private hospital I live near by. For those who aren't aware - private hospitals are considered better than government hospitals in South Africa. Given my background, I took extra effort to go over my medical background, my high risk status, and what I needed ( to replicate my protocol with my munchkin).

The nurse at his office assured me he was a great doctor and would take good care of me - after all - he was her dad! I could tell when she was taking my medical history that she was just filling out a form. She kept leaving off critical points which I had to push her to write down. They took my blood pressure, height and weighed me. That's all! Then I went to see the OB.

We talked a bit - he said because of my background I'd need a cerclage. I tried to talk to him about monitoring my hormones, progesterone supplements, etc and he brushed all of that off. He did a transvaginal ultrasound - measured the baby quickly, took the heartbeat and said - you're having a baby. He said he'd do my scan for Down Syndrome in 4 weeks and would do my cerclage on the same day. Then the appointment was over.

Now this is the FIRST time I've gone to an OB and not had a urine sample taken.  In fact here's a list of all the things he didn't do:
  •  urine sample
  •  blood sample
  •  iron levels 
  • discuss my risk factors
  • check my ovary 
  • pap smear
  • discuss flu shots
  • discuss my GD risk
  • do a breast exam
  • do any screening
  • do an HIV test (not that I need one but isn't that standard!)
  • discuss prenatal vitamins or supplements
He basically shoved a wand up my hoohah and said - you're having a baby - see you in a month! Needless to say - this was just another confirmation in my fears regarding doctors out here.We're in the process of sorting out logistics for the return back to the States to do my pregnancy here. Sigh.....
I can't really celebrate yet - because we have SO FAR to go but ... I saw my BEAN!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment