Thursday, July 26, 2012

Am I an extended breastfeeder?

So this was inspired by a question An online buddy asked me. She asked if my surgery was inspiring me to wean my daughter or if I was doing the extended breastfeeding thing. For starters, I didn't know there was such a concept as extended breastfeeding. Of course I had to google it. And there it was - there's a line drawn in the sand at 1 year. Anything beyond that - and you are an extended breastfeeder!

So I have to wonder - when did this line get drawn? Why was it drawn? Am I slowly becoming a tree-hugging, barefoot, nuts/honey/raw vegetable munching, 5 year old breastfeeding crunchy mom??? Is there some weird transformation that unbeknownst to me I'm undergoing??

Before I breastfed, I thought I'd go for 6 months maybe a year. I actually hated breastfeeding. But here I am a year later. My kid nurses only once to twice a day and I don't feel inclined to lead her weaning. I'm thinking I will let her wean when she's ready. I dunno. This was a nice random thought late last night

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if that line is there so people can have a reasonable finishing date?

    And by reasonable I mean so people who don't want to breastfeed long term can go "ok, I can make it a year, then I'm done."

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete