Thursday, September 29, 2011

Medela - I am on to you!

I rented a hospital grade pump today. I had one in the beginning but then decided to switch and get my own pump. So I shelled out close to 300 bucks for the Medela In-Style. I noticed the first time that I used it I got slightly less than when I was using the hospital one - but I expected that. I also noticed that it took a bit longer to pump - but I expected that as well. After all  the hospital pump costs $1200+ .

Well if you've been following my blog you'll note that my pumping had become a bit of a nightmare. It was taking longer and longer to get a letdown and then it started taking 45 minutes to get a letdown. And then there's the pain and discomfort that comes with having to pump for that long. I also noticed that the way my nipples moved in the phalanges was different between the two pumps.

Out of desperation getting this pump again was one of several things I've been doing to get my pumping in order. What's amazing is that I got the pump today and decided to pump when I got home. My breasts were not especially full but I got 5 ounces in 20 minutes! It was like watching little waterfalls pouring out of my nips! What the hell? Just yesterday I was suffering as my personal pump was taking forever. I would pump for an hour ( in the morning) and get 2 ounces if I'm lucky and only 1  letdown. I was sitting in the dark, envisioning my baby, sniffing her dirty laundry, envisioning her, and every other half assed suggestion about how to "will a letdown". So you know what I think?

I think Medela makes a good pump - the $1200 symphony hospital grade pump. Oh and by the way - when you rent one - even though it's through a vendor - you're renting from Medela! I think they make the other personal use pumps cheaper and less effective. I think that unless you're a person who responds well to the cheaper pump, you'll eventually need the hospital grade one - or perhaps lose your supply. So Medela makes money on both sides: first by getting you to rent the hospital one to get your supply up, then by getting you to buy a personal pump that may or may not work, and then thirdly back to rentals when you have to go and get another hospital grade pump.

So maybe it's just a conspiracy theory on my side but I think Medela is screwing with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment