Friday, June 1, 2012

I gave up 9 vials of blood for the fight today

So the endocrinologist ordered all kinds of tests for me. She did say she was doing a full workup. The first test I had to do was a cortisol saliva test. We spoke a bit about it - but she just mentioned that it measures adrenal function. It was a weird test. I was given a specific type of swap that I had to drop in my mouth, roll around to soak in saliva, and then spit back into the tube. I had to do that at midnight on the night before I went back in for testing.

I did the test last night. This morning I went in for my bloodwork. It had to be fasting - so I hadn't eaten since about 6 pm the night before.... ugh. When I did IVF I felt like a pin cushion. When I was pregnant I felt like a pin cushion. After today - I felt like a pin cushion again. The nurse withdrew 9 vials of blood from me. Fortunately needles don't bother me at all - but it's always unsettling to see that much blood being taken. Now I just count down to next week Friday for my MRI.


On a happier note, I realize I haven't blogged too much about my sweet baby girl. She's such a force to be reckoned with. She started walking at 8 months, and now at almost 11 months she's more than mobile. It's kind of bittersweet to look at her and enjoy the moments with her with this cloud of questionable cancer floating over my head. She has no idea of what I'm going through - and I'm making special effort not to let worry creep into my demeanor. It kind of makes me feel that much more grateful for the times I have with her. Despite the fact that she bites my left nipple whenever I offer it to her to feed!! And she has some serious teeth to do so with hehe.

I'm also planning her birthday party in the middle of all of this.  It's so hard to believe she will be 1 year old soon enough. I'm so ready to start trying again but I need to know if I'm healthy or if I'll need to go under the knife. I'm sorry that today's post is so all over the place  - I guess my thoughts are just racing today....

Here's the one thought that grounded me today:

No comments:

Post a Comment