Saturday, August 9, 2014

Cerclage removal failure

So I was all excited for my cerclage to come out .... Except it didn't come out! After 3 attempts my doctor was unable to remove it. I'm fact he couldn't even find the stitch. We knew for a fact that it was there because we saw it on the ultrasound. Also I was awake for the procedure to put it in!

So now I have to have a surgery scheduled to remove it. The removal could be risky because there's a chance of me bleeding out. My perinatologist is willing to try and remove it - but he said only if conditions are completely favorable. If he felt there was the slightest risk of me bleeding out - he'd abort the surgery. So now it is a wait and see thing for next week. 

I'm very angry because it appears that the surgeon in South Africa put I'm a shirodkar suture even though on my medical records he said he put in a macdonald stitch. The shirodkar is considerably more difficult to take out and often requires a surgery to do so. I remember taking explicit time to discuss the two stitches, my goals for a vaginal delivery and our expectation that this stitch could be taken out in a doctor's office. Yet here I am with a shirodkar and facing a surgery where this stitch might be permanent ! I won't go into a rant on health care in SA - but I'm over this on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment